Launched in 2019, the UPG Sustainability Leadership program has trained young leaders all over the world to become champions for positive citizen leadership. Are you a passionate citizen that believes your actions can support your local community and that every small positive effort can make the world a better place? Then please continue reading this blog and learn how to apply for this prestigious opportunity. We also encourage you to watch this three-minute video below to learn more of the program.
About the Program
The UPG Sustainability Leadership Program is the world’s largest and most comprehensive sustainability leadership training for young adults. It is a free programme that mobilises people and organisations to support positive citizen leadership on sustainability.
UPG believes that sustainability includes BOTH the usual “green” issues such as planting trees, recycling waste, managing energy, protecting the oceans AND other problems that have been central to our societies for a long time such as education, health, jobs, gender equality, sustainable consumption, sustainable production and more. For those familiar with it, UPG uses the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as a guide.
In spring 2022, UPG will train and certify a minimum of 500 additional young leaders worldwide and offer 60 of them an immersive 1-week experience on an island in the USA: the Hurricane Island Center for Science and Leadership.
This program is about positive citizen leadership on sustainability. It is a movement that encourages and enables citizens at all levels to take positive action. A movement inspired by the commitment to do what we can with what we have, rather than wait for someone else to act. It is accurate to think of UPG Sustainability Leadership as a state of mind.
More than training, UPG sustainability is a proudly local and global movement towards a more sustainable and positive world.
- A minimum of 500 young leaders worldwide would be selected, and 60 of them will receive an immersive 1-week experience on an island in the USA in an all-expense-paid trip.
- Selected applicants will be trained and certified as international and local changemakers.
The evaluation is done by reviewing the following four sections of your application:
- Profile - who are you? This helps us to strive for diversity.
- Motivation - why do you want to be a UPG Sustainability Leader?
- Capability - how capable are you to do what you want to do?
- Potential for Impact - what is the potential of your early ideas?
Trending | Call for Applications: The AfYWL African Union Fellowship Programme
UPG Sustainability Leaders include:
- You should be passionate about a specific area (e.g. jobs or education, or oceans).
- You must speak, read and write in English as the training will be conducted in English.
- You must have already taken action related to sustainability. If you have not, you can still apply.
- Open to everyone, everywhere.
- You must be aged 18 to 35 on 1 October 2022.
- People of different levels of education are accepted.
- You must have a solid motivation to be a UPG Sustainability Leader.
- You must be willing and able to take action on sustainability.
- You must believe in UPG’s mission to empower people to make the world a better place through positive action.
- You must be willing to lead personal projects of your own choice that support at least one of the SDGs.
- You must be ready to deliver training sessions to your local community.
As part of this application, it is strongly recommended that you submit a short video (maximum 2 minutes) to answer any of the questions listed under the evaluation criteria or to tell UPG more about yourself. Among other things, the video helps UPG evaluate your English language skills. You may submit that video by including a link to the video in the application now (there is a section in the application for this). Or you may complete the application first and mention that you will do the video later. And then submit a link to your video here.
Note: For your video to be considered, it must be submitted by the deadline.
Trending | WAAW Foundation 2021/2022 Scholarship Now Open ($500 Grant For Girls)!
1 September 2021
Launch of Applications
15 November 2021
End of 1st phase of Applications
31 December 2021
Deadline for 2nd phase of Applications
31 January 2022
14 March 2022
Start of 2022 UPG Sustainability Online Program
16 May 2022
Closure of 2022 UPG Sustainability Online Program
5 June 2022
2022 UPG Sustainability Commencement Ceremony
30 June 2022
Invitations begin for 60 UPG Sustainability Leaders to go to Hurricane Island.
Also | The 2021 AfCFTA Youth Continental Essay Competition - Win A Trip to Tanzania
How to Apply
My Scholarship Info strongly recommends that you visit the official page of UPG for more details. However, if you wish to apply right away, please visit the UPG Sustainability Leadership Application Page to apply.
NYASHA G MADE
This is a wonderful initiative and it has the potential to solve many current and future problems. May the Almighty help you in making it a prosperous project.
Thanks @Nyasha. We're glad you found this helpful